Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault - Scenic II - Heater Fan *fixed*

83K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Asterix 
#1 ·
Hi everybody .. I would be greatful if anyone knows the problem with my 53reg scenic 1.5dci heater fan,it has stopped working completly .it does't even work on speed 4 as discribed in many resister pack faults. many thanks

#4 ·
thank ottoman i have checked the 40 amp fuse which is fine .I have had the the lower facia off but not sure which wires to check as there are 2 sets . 1set on the left about 5 or 6 thick wires and 2 on the right side[driverside] which one is the motor live ? .i think it is only possible to check the live when the engine is running as the fan only operates then .thank again

#9 ·
Heater Rheostat

Just for info, got my Scenic heater fan rheostat changed at my dealer. Renault UK contributed 70% of the repair, even though mine was 4 months out of warranty, just rang them and asked nicely for a contribution !!
It cost me £124 in the end, not bad, and the parts and labour are covered for a year !!
Regards Damian. :)

#13 ·
I have had several problems with my 1.9DCI dynanique scenic. We bought the car just over 6 months ago. We had the interior heater switch fixed under manufacturer's warranty after 1 month of owning the car, after 3 months we had to have the dashboard computer module replaced (£400) when the dash illumination disapeared. Now the interior heater has stopped working again, apparently it is the rheostat and because the whole dash has to come out it will be a £320 job!

#14 ·
It looks as if it depends on who you speak to at Renault whether you get a contribution or not towards repair, it certainly appears to be a common fault.probably find that the Sale of Goods act would cover the repair in full but thats against the dealer not the manufacturer.

#15 ·
There are probably a number of factors whether Renault make a contribution or not.

Age of the vehicle

Mileage

Service History

Previous attemp at DIY repair or a none Renault franchise.

It is always worth contacting Renault Customer Services as a number of Members have had a contribution or the entire cost covered by Renault

#16 ·
There are probably a number of factors whether Renault make a contribution or not.

Age of the vehicle=3 years 6 months

Mileage = 34,000 miles

Service History = Full renault service

Previous attemp at DIY repair or a none Renault franchise N/A

No assistance from renault:steam:

#17 ·
Have you considred reporting the matter to V.O.S.A if it is an electrical fault that can lead to possible fire/toxic melting plastic fumes entering the cabin.

From your previous posts I see you had an ongoing problem with your Aircon and other electrical issues.

I have known Renault to change their mind as to contributions .

It is difficult to say why they contribute to one owners repair and not anothers there does not seem a set pattern for refusal/granting of contribitions to repair costs.

I have had considerable dealings with Renault over the last few years and I personally can't fault their service others I know of have had great difficulty dealing with them even within the warranty period.

This is not unique to Renault I'm afraid but I do feel their customer service is improving tho I know this is no consolation to you with your recent experiance with them .

#18 ·
I have looked deeper into this problem and contacted Renault customer service. They say that they may contribute to the cost of the repair. (as long as this takes place at a franchised dealer). The problem is the MAY, and what level that could be!!!
Initially it will cost £75 for a diagnostic check (as they wont accept a check from an independant centre)
Then its the dealership labour and cost of parts, which could end up being more expensive than having it done myself.
Watch this space................

#19 ·
Yes this is what you have to take into account even with Renault's contribution been 50% of the repair cost your outlay could be greater than if you paid 100% of the cost to a good independant.

Yep Renault will only accept their diagnostic findings as opposed to an independant workshop.

#20 ·
Hi all,
decided to have the job done independantly. Good news, ended up it was only the connector that needed replacing! A £20 replacement kit and £60 labour! Luckily we were put onto an auto electrician that works on these.
Nice present for Christmas!!!
Although this is not a common fault apparently the engineer at Renault stores says these go quite often!

#24 ·
Hi, I've got the same problem on my 1.9dCi scenic (04/04 reg with 46K on the clock).
The fan won't run on position 4, but it's OK on 1, 2 & 3. When it stopped working, initially, I could hear a "clicking" noise from the front passenger footwell area when I selected position 4 on and off. The noise then stopped and there was a faint burning smell (but no visible smoke).
You'll see a lot of threads stating that the fan will only run on position 4 or won't run at all. It seems there's a resistor that is the cause of the trouble, but surely everyone would have the same fault, I would have thought!

#26 ·
Hi everybody,

My name is Semin, and I’m coming from Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

I’m driving Renault Scenic RX4, 2.0 16V, 2002, mileage app 80000 km.

I have problem with heating fan. Fan did not work at all. I realized that problem is coming from climate controller VALEO 509355 that goes to numbers of Renault, Peugeot and Citroens.

I searched a bit and found

http://translate.google.com.au/tran...result&prev=/search?q=509355+Valeo&hl=en&sa=G

So, I changed transistor with a new one IRFP064N, everything worked well for a 10 minutes and fan start to work on high speed. I could not switch it off.

This morning I changed transistor again and same thing happened. It for 2 minutes and again it broke.

Sis that mean that main processor in the controller is broken??, or somebody have some different ideas???

best

#28 ·
Bought the car second hand August '13 for my Mum, however I did not notice that position 4 was not working. My brother mentioned this first. Now in the last 3 weeks, position 3 was not working.

The car is Scenic 1.4 '06 reg and it's only done 34k. Just got it fixed at an independent garage for £50 part and £180 labour (1 year warranty on part). Not sure if that is expensive (mechanic said it took 6 hours to change rheostat/resistor since he needed to pull out the whole dash, etc.) and if I should have asked Renault to sort it out.

The question is how does the resistor get damaged? I've just found a link where someone does the whole job themselves, and can understand why the labour cost is so high. Hope it's okay to post the link here:

http://wojtek-n.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/renault-scenic-ii-grand-scenic-ii.html

#30 ·
Hi there, Scenic II '06 plate, 45k miles .. fans died in all positions about 3 weeks ago. Replaced the 40A fuse in the glove box panel but nothing.

Haven't really got much know how or convenient working area when it comes to jobs like removing the dash, may ask a mobile mechanic over the local garage. First step I'll get a Haynes manual to see what everyone is talking about.

#31 ·
Plunge taken and new heater and resistor kit plus new loom wiring (plus a crimping tool kit) ordered. I figure if I mess it all up, which there is a high likelihood of, then I'll be paying a garage anyway.

new kit £47.99 off ebay. crimping kit £5.

whole weekend about to be lost with no gain - £priceless.

I'll let you know how I get on and capture a few pics, if I can do it then anyone can do it.

:eek:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.