Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Naming the parts

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 5th December 2007
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by prav View Post
Thanx a lot for the ABC of under the hood!!!
one another stupid query...
diff between cam belt/timing belt/aux belt/alternator belt/any other belts which i have missed out and what are they meant to do??

The cambelt and timing belt are one of the same thing.All it does is drives the cams (and sometimes the water pump) off of the crankshaft.This is the belt that needs to be replaced at the correct time/mileage,as if it breaks serious engine damage usually occurs.Most Renault cambelts are due for a change at 72,000 miles or 5 years,which ever comes first.If you buy a car over this age/mileage and don't know if the belt has ever been changed,have it done!.It's cheaper to have the belt changed than it is to have an engine rebuild.

The auxillary belt drives all the ancillaries which are things like the alternator,power steering pump and aircon pump.The belt can usually be seen easily and should be regularly inspected for damage.There used to be a need to periodically adjust the belt,but now it's more usual to have a spring loaded tensioner that automatically takes up any stretch or wear in the belt.Some cars have more than one auxillary belt.

The auxillary belt can cause engine damage if it snaps and wraps around the crankshaft pulley as this can damage the cambelt,so it's worth keeping an eye on it's condition.They have a tendency to perish and crack on the inner ribbed part,and if this happens than I'd recommend to change the belt.

(Edit;Sorry Mike,looks like we posted at the same time!.)

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo

Last edited by Lagdti; 5th December 2007 at 05:54 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome