Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Faulty Coils Causing Warning Light(Including General Info)*fixed*

View Single Post
post #117 of (permalink) Old 3rd January 2016
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic - Faulty Coils Causing Warning Light(Including General Info)*fixed

First of all really sorry if the answer to below is in the thread - tried to find it but couldn't see it.

Bought a 2003 1.6 petrol scenic for my girlfriend and it was running fine for a day but after a petrol fill (I don't think it's related .. just bad luck on that start up) car shaking when idle / lack of power / little power going up hills (you need to go back in gears) etc. Car's not backfiring but very shakey when just sitting. Reading the thread it looks like coil issue.

Opening the bonnet I see there are 4 coils .
One on the far left as I look at the engine looks different from the others so think that was changed.

Ran car to see if one was faulty (expected to unplug faulty one and car would stay on showing me which was bad) but when I unplug any of them the car cuts out.
Not sure if that's because the other one in the pair stops working so then 2 coils have then effectively stopped? Don't know.

I 'think' that - looking straight at engine that the numbering is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 with 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 paired?
I ask because if 1 was changed then the most likely to be gone is 4?

Should I replace the lot or just keep putting in one new coil in and starting it to see which has failed? Presume the car will run well when the bad one has been replaced.

Lastly is it damaging to the car to run it as it is - have little choice at moment as can't get coil in for a few days but just to know how urgent to fix it .. Monday or later in week .. not planning to drive for a month or anything.

Thanks for the help and again apologies for being fairly clueless.
Currently in kildarekonga's garage:
2003 Renault Scenic 1.6
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome