Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Can a second hand car have too few miles?!

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 3rd January 2016
Official tight fisted Jock
Nominated 7 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,127 Posts
Re: Can a second hand car have too few miles?!

Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
Point worth mentioning.

18000 miles (& 8000 miles) is low for a 3 year old car.

But, isn't that the point?

If the owners had anticipated high annual mileages, then it would've made sense for them to pay extra and buy a diesel.

Personally speaking, I suspect that you prefer the spec, warranty and proximity of the higher-mileage car, so what I'd suggest that you do, is test-drive the closer one, and providing it drives well, make them an offer of 500 less than they are asking.

They will baulk at that, but justify your offer by pulling out a printout of the other car, and suggest that they either knock the 500 off, or you pay 250 less, and they repair the scratches prior to you collecting it.

They will be more than happy to bite your hand off, as they will be quiet at this time of year, and they will get the scratches repaired for MUCH less than you'd pay.

They make a sale, you get the car you want, and if there are any 'issues', then you aren't faced with a 120-mile drive to complain.

You can also advise them, that you will spread their good reputation to neighbours & colleagues.

Win-win to me.

You been to my school of car purchasing ... Out of curiosity ..are you trading in ..
Currently in batfink5's garage:
Laguna MKIII 2.0dci dynamique, Clio dynamique tom tom, Vauxhall zafira
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to batfink5 For This Useful Post:
keelyannb (3rd January 2016), VelSatisfied (3rd January 2016)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome