Independent Renault Forums banner

Water leak in footwell

13K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  johnsc 
#1 ·
Hi guys I've got a 2004 clio 182 which has quite a bad water leak.
The water is getting into the right hand side sill and then overflows into the driver's footwell. It only seems to be getting in whilst the car is stationary.

Just wondering if there's any common problems with them or, if not, what's the best way to see where it's coming from?

Thanks in advance
Matt

#8 ·
Also doesn't the sill have drainage points, along with the doors? I know my Megane does might be worth checking these are not blocked if it has them? (Well ive seen two plastic bungs at the front and rear of each sill, i assume there for drainage.)

#9 ·
morning, have you checked all the sill drain holes ?, they can block up causing a build up of water. I suggest they are blocked causing the water level to rise.

Al

#11 ·
Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yh it's definitely the sill. I've removed all of the carpets to dry because they're all wet. and I can hear the water, as I drive, sloshing up and down the car and then overflow into the driver's footwell through a hole on the inside of the sill.

I've removed some of the rear trimming and managed to unblock, what I'm hoping is, a drain hole and the water gushed out, but I'm not sure if there'll be a front drain hole as well? And if there is I'm not sure how to get to it

#13 ·
Just had a look at a 2002 clio.

On the lowest point of the outer sill there is a lip pointing downwards.
If you run your fingers along the back of that lip, there are a few raised bumps where the body panels don't quite meet.
I would expect water in the sill to drain from those.
I suppose they could block with dirt over time.

Give them a poke with and see if any water comes out.

#14 ·
hi, there is also a drain hole at the front of the sill. Remove the wheel arch liner. behind it on the A post is a foam strip running from top to bottom, this just pulls out, at the bottom is a hole going into the sill, this is where the Clio often blocks up, be sure to pull the muck out not push it in . all best

Al

#16 ·
Hi all
I took wheel arch liner out and there was a load of dirt behind the piece of foam. The dirt was up to the drain hole, so I'm guessing the water was running off the top of the dirt and straight into the car. It was the same the other side as well, but not as bad.
I've cleaned it out and now hoping it's solved the problem
So thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions! :D

#19 ·
That was a lot of muck.:eek:
Ld's mind????

Glad it's sorted, all left to do is to insert a newspaper under the carpets & change regularly until dry. Well
that's how I used to dry my old Scenic.

#22 ·
hi, if you scroll back to page 4 of this thread there is photo of the drivers wheel arch drain hole, if you Google in images "Clio Scuttle Drain Holes" about 50 photo's come up . You need to replace the missing splash guard or your going to re fill that sill very soon.
Al

#23 ·
i've heard that the sills have drains but i've yet to find them im having the same problem with water in the footwell drivers side and rear passengers as well as that my locks go crazy from time to time if you know where the sill drains are or if you find them would you let me know.

thanks

#25 ·
If you take the rear interior trim off (with the rear speakers and cup holder) there's a piece of material slotted into a hole, for sound deadening. If you remove this and look right at the bottom, towards the back of the sill there's a small hole for drainage.
Mine kept blocking up with dirt and the water didn't drain and overflowed into the car

#26 ·
My 18 year old Grandaughter has the same problem but her dealer wants £432 to clear it and dry out interior.
She bought the 11 reg car in April 2014 with 29k on clock, the car is garaged and she works on industrial est. with no trees.
Her dealer knows of this problem and has two mods to solve problem. Is it likely that this blockage existed when purchased and if so should dealer have checked for this known problem.
We have only had 2 or 3 months of autumn/winter so is it likely that this would happen in this time.
I have spoken to Renault and whilst they don't recognise this as a fault they are willing to go 50% of cost.
Should I push hard with Lookers, ie small claims to get her money back, as it was vital to have work done as damage could get worse, or should I just tell her to put it down to experience although at her age even 50% of the cost is crippling her finances.

#27 ·
hiya all - i have a 2000 scenic alize and after leaving her for ten days over xmas got in her this am and found the pass well a small version of teh mediterrean sea..

i am new to renaults - i have been in the past an austin, Ford and Vauxhall driver, love the scenic as it feels like a bus and is massive inside..

back to the water ingress

I located the drains on the sunroof...they are clear.,use some stiffing wire to poke in or curtain wire to push inside and clear any blockage

..checked the flappers under the screen scuttle they are clear...

I was directed to the drain pipe under the front wheel arch on the passenger side - there is a flapper valve on the end of the pipe - god knows why - pull the thing off and clear the crap - that should solve the issue - i hope it does

to clear the water i have got a load of cat litter place a towel on the carpet and dropped a bag on it will leave it 24 hours and clear tommorow - hopefully this will clear the water ingress...

anyway see what happens with RLC - will let u all know

#28 ·
I like the idea of the cat litter.... clever.
Pls let us know how well it works.
Under the carpets is going to be right soggy.... if you can remove them, will help in drying out.
Don't forget that under both driver and passenger seats are subterranean cubby holes. With wires and junctions inside. And now probably lots of water.
Remove the drawers and check them.

In a previous car with similar issues (and all the security and electric window electronics) I drilled a 4mm hole to drain and then stuck a self tapper in to seal.

#29 ·
I have had a wet footweel on my Scenic 3 there is big fault with most modern car the bulkhead water drains over time they get cloged with leaf and general dirt which blocks the rubber drains under the car.

I have today had to clean out the two drains on my Scenic they are hidden in the front wheel arches under the black wheel are covers (felt things) they are retained with large black popper clips.

remove the arch linner and you will see a rubbber drain valve whcih will be blocked.

I really dont know why renault dont indicate this in their servicing scheduals.

I was very lucy i managed to fix the issue with some flexable currtain cord and saved the cabin fan by spin it with a long stick before sezised.

to get access to the fan take off footwell pannel in the passager side and turn the fan on to recirclate the fan is then visable and just needs a careful push a few times with the power of to get it working again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.