Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio - 1.2 16v Misfire Information

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10th December 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi - just wanted to say thanks to lagdti and everyone else who has commented on these problems as I've managed to sort out my 04 Clio 1.2 16V Expression.

I noticed a couple of tanks of fuel ago that whenever I was at idle there was an intermittent misfire which just got worse and worse the longer you left it idling until the engine was literally rocking in its mounts. Strangely I hadn't noticed any sort of problem in normal driving conditions. I thought I'd check the spark plugs but they seemed fine after 25k on the clock. At work we have an ignition timing strobe and you could see that there were missing current pulses on all of the cylinders on and off, worse on 1 and 2. I googled around and eventually found this thread, phoned up my local Unipart and they got in a coil pack and 4 spark plugs the next day for the grand total of 57. Fitted them in no time at all and everything is back to full working order. Gave the car a good run down to London this weekend and I'm happy as Larry now. No idea how much this has saved as I can imagine taking it to Renault they would have mis-diagnosed it and I've have ended up spending a fortune on things I just didn't need as per other horror story threads on these forums!

One question to anyone out there - what do you rekon are the chances of this sort of thing damaging the cat by dumping unburnt fuel down the exhaust? Hoping not too much over just 2 or 3 tanks of fuel when the problem only seemed to happen at idle - but there must be people out there who have this problem and do nothing about it between services.

So anyway, thanks again and I know where I will be looking if (and when) something else drops off of my Clio!

Currently in bigmacnchips's garage:
2004 Clio 1.2 16V Expression
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome