Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

View Single Post
post #129 of (permalink) Old 14th January 2016
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

Hello, everyone,

I have a problem with my Renault Clio 1.4 (8 Valve?) It's a Mk2 Ph1 model built in 2001.

I have replaced the crankshaft sensor after having the RAC visit me at home, identifying this to be the problem, and I also had a friend run a diagnostics on the electrical system, which returned the same identification.

It ran fine when I bought the car, however the battery went flat after being left stationary over this winter. After charging the battery and starting the engine, it dawned on me that it will turn over but not fire.

The immobiliser light flashes once per second and once the ignition is primed the light switches off after 5-10 seconds.

I have got it to fire up once and gave it a good 30 minute drive to gather some charge and hopefully sort the problem, but it hasn't started since.

Finally, before I got it to start the engine coolant light flickered a bit and it sounded like a relay started under the hood began to restart? This hasn't happened again, which makes me worry a little.

I have two keys and have tried both multiple times, I don't want this to be expensive, so I'm trying to avoid wasting money on new parts. I am contemplating a new key, coil pack, TDC loom and/or battery, however if you think one of these is the main cause of the problem, please let me know.

Also, I forgot to mention that the RAC guy tested the spark plugs with some sort of thing (voltmeter?) and it didn't pick anything up, I think?

Would appreciate any help on the topic!

Many thanks,

Currently in Leviocallaghan's garage:
2001 Renault Clio 1.4 RT
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome