Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace rear door

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 15th December 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Cool tailgate not opening.

Originally Posted by gjh1936 View Post
Does anyone know how to open the rear door of my 1992 Espace? The door is unlocked but I believe that the bar that diconnects the latch on the near side must have come loose, as the off side is free but the near side is solid.

Spoke to the guys in renault' spares , waste of time.

I tend to keep my vehicles till they rot but as this one is still roadworthy (110,00 on the original clutch!) and regularly used. Worth nothing in the market but 's to me.

Had the same problem on my mkiii 1998 Espace, Renault garage in abingdon "fixed it" Scratched all the paint around the tailgate liner, broke the tailgate liner, replaced the solenoid and handle gear, charged me 900. within the month it had gone again.

solution - remove the liner complete if you can, ( you could just cut a neat hole in the liner where the handle is) grab the metal rod that goes from the handle mech to the catch with a good pair of pliers and give it a tug, this will free your tailgate.

The weak point on my model is the lightweight metal fixing that the metal rod fixes into at the handle end. My solution was to glue and screw on a red rawlplug behind the metal fixing once i had the rod adjusted again.

been no problem since, Hope that helps with your model.
Currently in forgon's garage:
1999 espace 22dt
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome