Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Seemingly minor accident damage

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 17th December 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Seemingly minor accident damage

Just a word of warning to anyone that is involved in a rear end shunt, from my experience if you have a Laguna.

A Ford Transit shunted me at a roundabout. He was doing about 15mph, I was stopped.

Had a look and the damage seemed minimal. Slight dent in the bumper, rear number plate light broken. I also noticed later when opening the tailgate it grated a bit as if the lock was out of alignment.

I decided to let my insurance contact the other party to sort out what I though was minimal damage, especially at such a low speed.

When the insurance estimator surveyed the car, he said it would cost about 2000 to fix! What had happened was the bumper absorbed the energy, the panel behind the bumper that forms the rear side of the boot was dented as was the boot floor. And the tailgate? It was slightly twisted hence the grating noise. The estimator said that it was designed to happen that way. Even at such a low speed shunt the crash energy was absorbed and transferred round the rear of the car.

So a word of warning. No matter how slight your shunt, get it checked! Especially on modern cars with crumple zones. I so nearly didn't report it thinking it was no more than a fender bender. Imagine what that would have cost me in the long run...
Currently in saltire's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 1.8 Expression
  5 Lastest Threads by saltire
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
12v socket/cigarette lighter Electronics dave_mezza2006 1 1581 7th September 2009 07:26 PM
Laguna II door lights Electronics Bent 5 1286 20th February 2009 09:51 AM
Renault Laguna 2 - Intermittant Non-Start Engines andrew13 6 1801 13th July 2008 12:05 AM
Rear Suspension Bush Steering and Suspension saltire 2 1007 21st January 2008 08:01 PM
High Level Brake Light/Tailgate Bodywork madnoel10 1 991 11th January 2008 10:24 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome