Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio mk2 ignition barrel swap

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st January 2016 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Clio mk2 ignition barrel swap

Hi there folks,
My 01 reg clio recently went for its MOT , unfortunately it failed. The guy said it was unsafe due to one issue, which was the safety return spring in the ignition barrel being broken, so barrel would need replaced.

A replacement used barrel and key arrived today from eBay which I have now fitted. I had read online that once I replaced the barrel, all I had to do was swap the chip from my original key into the new key for the barrel.

However when i popped open both keys (that look identical on the outside) i discovered the insides of both are quite different, therefore stopping me making the two parts into one key. Any attempts I have made to start car , result in the fast flashing immoboliser light on dash. I have even tried reconnecting the original barrel and that results in the same thing. Car is trying but just cant get past immobiliser at all.

What do i do here? Many thanks in advance for help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1453342954518.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	88809   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1453342987803.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	88817  
Currently in Aaron89's garage:
2001 renault clio 1.2 8v (pre-facelift)
  5 Lastest Threads by Aaron89
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio mk2 ignition barrel swap Cars & motoring batfink5 3 589 21st January 2016 01:23 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome