Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio - 197 - Alarm Problem

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 22nd December 2007 Thread Starter
Mark Burke
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks for the replies.

In answer to your questions, the history of my defection from audi to Renault is as follows:
I first test drove the 197 in June this year after being interested in the new sport from Evo magazine and seeing the car in the flesh at Goodwood 2006. I was impressed with the car on the test drive so made a decision with my heart & not my head (usual for me i'm afraid!) and placed a deposit with my local dealer.

I waited the advised 10 weeks and collected my car on 1st September. I have to confess that the car looks superb, I went for red with extra dark tinted windows, xenons etc. For the first month I did not use it much (I have since put almost 7000 miles on it) but the alarm fault started around 8 weeks after collecting it. The problem seemed initially to occur after my daily commute into london approx 60 miles when the alarm would activate minutes after locking. This would then occur every few minutes for about 30 mins and eventually stop. This then happened on the return trip home. I would check the doors, the bonnet and the boot hatch but no matter what I did the alarm would activate. This happens every day I go to work without fail. Strangely on short commutes around town it does not happen as much. The dealer thought it was a grommet on the bonnet so replaced it. This did not work. The second visit the dealer had the car all day and as is per the norm the car alarm did not activate all day! There were no fault codes lodged so the service department cannot do anything more until they witness the problem.
At present the car alarm activates around 6 to 10 times per trip out and has just started activating on short trips around town and even went off early in the morning last week and I had not driven in for two days prior.
The picture I am getting from car mags and others with renaults clio 197's this seem a relatively common problem. However the Renault technicians I have spoken to do not seem aware of any alarm faults.
I did wonder if on long journeys the engine is getting very hot and the small bonnet is distorting just enough to affect the alarm sensor and as it cools everything settles down. However now the alarm is activating on short journeys this may not be the case.
Nuff said, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Currently in Mark Burke's garage:
2007 Renaultsport Clio 197
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome