Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna II won't start - ABS warning

View Single Post
post #72 of (permalink) Old 28th January 2016 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Laguna II won't start - ABS warning unexpected twist on this story..

I got home, took the car off charge...tested the voltage - was at 13.1v (so only slightly up from 12.8 last night after another 20 hours on charge).

Put the camshaft sensor back in, and then squeezed the fuel primer bulb, which did go firm after 5 squeezes!

Jumped in the car...pressed the button, and hey started!

Just been for a drive for 15 minutes, probably averaging 50mph, and all was fine (apart from the pesky handbrake warning, and the windows needed resetting). Got back and parked up...EHB working normally despite the error...and stopped and started it a further 3 times without trouble. far as I can tell it was one of three things:

1. Camshaft Sensor. Maybe an intermittent fault...maybe just unplugging it and removing it has sorted it...I dunno. I've seen several posts online about faulty camshaft sensors causing this, plus 2 seperate people have said to me that they've had the same problem (one on a Megane, and one onf a Peugeot 306).

2. Fuel system problem... Maybe it was priming the fuel system that did it?? I don't know what that would suggest was wrong though!

3. That extra bit of voltage in the battery did the job. I'm kinda ruling this out though as when I shut it off after the drive. the battery was reading 12.8v again...and it still started twice after that.

I guess now its a case of if it happens again, I try the sensor and the primer one at a time and see which one solves it..

I am though going to take it to the garage tomorrow in the hope they can reset the handbrake warning...and also, i'm now getting a new noise from the engine bay. It's coming from a cylindrical black device mounted at the back of the engine, but I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet! Basically it seems to be when I remove the keycard rather than after I turn the engine off...I had the bonnet open and could hear a clicky/hissy/pumping noise coming from it.. I might have never noticed it because you can't hear it with the bonnet shut, but it seemed quite loud so I think i'd have noticed it before!

Whether thats related to the original issue or if its something thats happened since the battery disconnection and what not...I have no idea!

Thanks to all for your efforts assisting with this...I'll of course update the thread as and when I find out any more about the problem/s in the hope that it helps someone else out in the future.

Beers are on me!
Currently in themosttogain's garage:
2005 Laguna (Phase II) 1.9 DCI
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to themosttogain For This Useful Post:
batfink5 (28th January 2016), Dancingdad (29th January 2016), Nottnoc (29th January 2016), philipjohnson82 (28th January 2016)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome