Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Buying an Espace Initiale 2.2dCi - what to look out for?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th January 2016 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Buying an Espace Initiale 2.2dCi - what to look out for?

Hello all, I'm new to these forums so apologies if I've put this in the wrong section...

I'm looking at buying a 2005 Espace Initiale 2.2dCi for my wife. She wants a 7 seater, and we've looked at Galaxies, Sharans, Zafiras, Previas etc, but I really like the styling, specs, and the versatility of the layout.

The problem comes when looking at the internet reviews of the Espace Mk4, and especially the 2.2dCi engine. I've read about horror stories of the Espace electronics, but the more concerning thing is the reliability and potential design flaws of the engine.

I'm sure, as with any car, you get good ones and bad ones, but I don't want to be faced with having to spend thousands on an engine replacement.

So, I'd like to know, what to look for on the car before purchasing? Also, how easy are they to work on for the DIY home mechanic? Should I follow the advice of the 'interweb' and avoid the 2.2dCi and look for another engine?

Many thanks in advance
Currently in dylbie's garage:
Toyota MR2 Mk1 (AW11), BMW E39 530d
  5 Lastest Threads by dylbie
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Buying an Espace Initiale 2.2dCi - what to look... Cars & motoring dylbie 2 164 28th January 2016 08:38 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome