Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2001 Renault Laguna Trip Computer kmh to mpg

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 9th August 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by lh120503
just spoke to renault, they want over 500 quid to replace the complete instrument panel!! How can this happen? I was driving normally and the display just changed. Why dont renault just have a switch to change from kmh to mpg like other manufacturers? crazy!!!!
I had a similar situation with my last Laguna when the gearbox failed. It was well out of warranty, so I took it to my father-in-law's garage to be sorted. The car was off the road with the battery disconnected for a week while the box went away to be reconditioned (we couldn't find an exchange one at the time.) When they finally reconnected the battery, all of the fuel functions on the trip computer had stopped working.

I took it to my usual dealer, and this is one of the few occasions I felt they really let me down. With hindsight, it seems that they were unhappy that I'd taken my car elsewhere and were determined that I was going to pay for my mistake! Their diagnosis was that electronics in the instrument cluster had somehow been damaged, and like you, they wanted to charge over 500 quid for a replacement. This just didn't make sense for a trivial feature on a car that can't have been worth much more than 2000 quid at the time, so I decided to just leave it broken.

When we eventually sold the car, the new owner took it to his local dealer, who reprogrammed the trip computer and charged him 25 quid. It's been fine ever since.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome