Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 23rd December 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Bob925 View Post
Head gasket failure is especially common on the 1.6 8v engine. Mine went also a few years back, but it was a teeny weeny water leak that gradually eroded the head! Fortunately it was repairable and was skimmed.
Bob, any idea what this skimming process is/involves?

Our 1.6RT Megane has just been diagnosed with a blown head gasket (still runs [just] and drives) but I got a neighbour and his friend who say they will help me to get it sorted. The only thing I'm worried about is this skimming thing - What is it and what tools are needed?

I love our megane (1st car since passing test) and I really don't want to let it go to scrap! It belongs to my mrs but she's yet to pass her test and has in the mean time purchased a little fiat bravo for her usage. She's wanted to send the megane to the scrap yard for a while because of it's starting issues, but so far i have successfully resisted this (and unlike most women she has listened when i stamped down my authority!). So it's still outside waiting awaiting it's fate but it must be said, i want to rescue this car at almost any cost - it's been very faithful and reliable to me and always got me where ever i needed to go - even when it's not been feeling very well!

*feels guilty for pushing the poor car too hard*
Currently in delta1066's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome