Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault clio 2003 brake drum issue???

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 30th January 2016
Platinum member
Nominated 30 Times in 26 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 10
Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,292 Posts
Re: Renault clio 2003 brake drum issue???

have you measured the depth that the bearing drops/fits inside the drum, the distance from each side, does it equal your n/s rear,
If you are certain the bearing is correct, then start measuring the drum,.
If you go to the nearside rear and replace your original drum, then have a look at the stub/thread part, where the thread ends and the stub is machine finished,.
You will see that this is level with the inner race part of the bearing.
Now offer the o/s drum up and look to see if there is a difference.
The other thing to check, when the bearing is pressed in, the two inner races has a washer type spacer that fits between them, if this has come out and you have not forced both inner races back together this will stop it turning.
If this has happened and if the washer is not damaged , to get the two inner races back together, place a large socket on one side of the inner race, (this will stop it moving back away) and hit the other half of the inner race ( use a socket this side also, if you have no safety glasses then place a cloth over the socket and make sure the cloth covers all the drum before you hit the socket with a hammer, its to late after, if a piece of metal blinds you ) this will force them back together

I think, aesthetically, car design is so interesting - the dashboards, the steering wheels, and the beauty of the mechanics. I don't know how any of it works, I don't want to know,
Currently in ours2012's garage:
My Baby ( or the shed on wheels )Laguna 2 estate
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome