Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 24th December 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi bob thanks for the reply and the welcome!

I have replaced the TDC sensor already but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. This was done on a recommendation from a renault dealer who did a onboard computer test. They also recommended the lamda sensor be replaced but the old one is seized so I can't get it out!!! Unfortunately though, despite the coolant tank being dark and dirty for months, they failed to notice this and point out that it could be a problem. You'd think they could of just mentioned it - especially as they charged 9 more for the diagnostic than they said it would cost.

Glad to hear what the water swirling noise is - it's puzzled me and a few others for a while...

To be honest, there isn't really any white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Only first thing in the morning when it's ice cold does it seem to put out a lot of white stuff but at any other time it actually seems to be less than most modern cars (and yet it failed an emissions test on an MOT - went straight to another garage who then passed it 20 mins later!).

When the timing belt was done, only the oil and air filters were replaced. Nothing was done to the water pump - does it need to be? I noticed you said your HG blew again due to this pump - is it a weak point of some sort?

Glad to hear the word vague describing the haynes manual - I had thought this myself but was a bit afraid to publically say this as i thought people would have comments about it!

You're certainly right about the meganes though, despite all the newer cars out there they have aged VERY well. We went to poland a while back and left the car in the airport car park for the week. When we came back (it was dark) we didn't realise just how nice the megane looked around other cars (at night with street lamps it always looks smarter than day for some reason). It really is a great little car and I love it to bits. Unfortunately the mrs has been wanting to send it to the scrap yard for the last month or so (it's actually her car) but so far i have successfully resisted on the grounds that it's my first car (as in my first car to drive -not actually mine). Eventually she got the hint that the megane wasn't going anywhere without a fight!

In honesty i've kinda built a little relationship with that car - I've nick named it 'broom broom' and despite the fact we got a fiat bravo aswell, it just isn't the same as the megane. Its only in the residents car park behind the house but i miss not driving it daily If it ever went to the scrap or got seriously written off (it's already a category D salvage) i would definately miss it.

Unfortunately though, I am struggling to find a local breakers that have a megane. I had to replace the driver side indicaor unit a while back, and eventually i got lucky and found one breakers who had a coupe - 12 or 16v. Lucky for me the indicator was the same but the rest of the engine etc was totally different.

One other thing i wanted to ask you bob, what are the pedals like in your megane in comparison to most newer cars? - are they really stiff (like our megane) or are they nice nd light? - On our megane the clutch pedal [cable] is very stiff and i have to fight it. I've got used to it now but it used to scare he hell out of me in traffic jams as i always thought i was gonna ram some poor so&so. The accelerator and the brake are similar too..
Currently in delta1066's garage:

Last edited by delta1066; 24th December 2007 at 10:08 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome