Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Electric Window Fault

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 26th December 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Originally Posted by azkleric View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the regulator mounted on the door. I need to attach one to a friends but as he's taken if off and he's not about at the moment I'm not 100% sure just how it fits in.

Just fitted Ebay replacement, removed temporary wooden strut that was cable tied onto old regulator to keep the window up.

Replacement was a piece of cake, good instructions and easy to do, got it from slickparts-UK.

Make sure you have TORX bits (think a 27 is most) and smallet to get the motor swapped.

In answer to the question above: The regulator consists of a steel channel which fits almost vertically and has a motor mounted half way down. The assembly can only go one way. If you look on the metal frame of the regulator, you will see there are captive nuts. These should be placed so that the nut is furthest from you (i.e. nearest the outside of the car).

There are three screw holes. The centre one is mounted so that it will be nearest to the hinge side of the door.

In essesnce what happens when things go wrong is:
  • The window glass has a lug with a hole in it that allows the window mechanism (in this case electric motor via a 2inch plastic drum with 'push-bike' brake cable) to move it up and down along a steel channel.
  • The bit of plastic that the window regulator uses to fix through the window, is carefully made so that just after vehicle warranty has expired, it follows suit.
  • This leaves the motor still working and merrily winding the bowden cable around in free air and the owner around 350.00 out of pocket if you get the work done by a franchised dealer with a genuine part.
Still, I can now work on Mrs W to let me flog the Scenic and get her a nice Discovery 2 which I am much more qualified to repair !

In the meantime if anyone in Kent needs a repair, Id be happy to oblige at much less than the dealer price

Last edited by NicWood; 26th December 2007 at 01:10 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome