Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - rear door lock again*Fixed*

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 26th December 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to parksider
Right, is it the o/s/r door?
Once you have the door card off and can see the lock mechanism from the inside you will see it is covered in a white plastic guard.
You need to pull the plastic guard off so you can see the complete lock mechanism.
Once you have done this you will see a black plastic part of the lock mechanism at the top left hand side of it.
You basically need to break the black plastic part, located inside it is a metal part of the mechanism that will release the door catch thus allowing the door to open.

Before you do all this, get a replacement lock mechanism from the scrap yard, (megane are the same just with a different shape white plastic guard that can easily be removed).
If it has central locking, the central locking unit can be easily removed prior to demolishing the unit with (i think) 1x 8mm bolt.

Did one a few weeks ago on a mates car after his expert mechanic friend couldn't get the door open and told him it was a dealer only problem and needed holes drilling in door and all sorts of bull.

Took me about an hour to do it which included working out how to get door open.

I hope this helps,
Currently in parksider's garage:
1998 laguna rt 1.6 16v

Last edited by parksider; 26th December 2007 at 06:28 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome