Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Avantime, Vel Satis or Citroen XM..?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 27th December 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Avantime, Vel Satis or Citroen XM..?

Hi all

I'm a newbie and have joined specifically because I am seriously thinking of jumping the good ship Citroen (not because of problems, just fancy a change) to Renault for my next daily driver and wanted some feedback from Avantime and Vel Satis owners past and present.

I'm currently driving a V6 Citroen Xantia on a 98S, which is in great condition and less than 49,000 miles. It's also a one off colour combination of black exterior/beige leather interior. Prior to this I had a late V6 24v Citroen XM (on a 99T) but was high on miles - so sold it and bought the Xantia as a stop gap until I could find a less leggy XM... 18 months later and I'm now in a bit of a quandary.

Firstly, I've found an immaculate, late (00W) V6 XM, which has just had its gearbox replaced (similar problems to V6 Renaults by the sound of things). The price is high for an XM (just under 5k) but I love the look and feel of them. However, I know essentially they're a late 1980s car and consequently I'm considering either an Avantime V6 Privilege (with autobox) or a Vel Satis 3.5 V6 Initiale. I know both cars are known for not being up to BMW standards for ride and handling according to magazine reports but I'm actually interested in a comfortable, fast cruiser rather than something that corners on rails. I also read reports of interior fragility...

I guess if there was the odd one locally (I'm in Lincoln) I could try both and then compare with my XM experiences but sadly they're like rocking horse muck around here so that's a no go.

Obviously, as and when I come close to buying one, I'll try them both (somehow!) but for the time being I'd be really appreciative of your views as a past or present owner. Especially if you've also previously had an XM...

Thanks in advance

5 Lastest Threads by carliterature
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Avantime, Vel Satis or Citroen XM..? Cars & motoring carliterature 15 3173 27th December 2007 05:26 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome