Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 28th December 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hiya Delta - sorry for net getting back sooner, I haven't been in and around much over the last few days.

Regards the waterpump - I'm not sure exactly how this caused the HG failure, but (so I'm told) the water pump should be replaced with the timing belt for peace of mind as it loses its "performance" (I suppose you could put it like that?!) after several years and X thousands of miles on the road. My car was running hot before the head went (though the gauge never moved off the middle) so I guess the water pump wasn't pumping quite as it should.

I notice you describe moisture down the front of the block, below the spark plugs. I'm told this is the most common area for the HG to go on these engines (I'm told a variety of things...!) and you may also get a slight oil leak from this area which runs down the front of the block.

I agree with you on the pedals. In fact i recall posting something similar about the subject ages ago. The cable clutch is particularly awkward in my opinion, especially as I'm used to the lovely hydraulic clutches in the work vans I drive. I've also always found the accelerator to be quite heavy but the brake pedal has always had great levels of feel and the brakes themselves really quite strong. Especially with the brakes when you see the size of those weedy little discs and drums at the back it's quite a surprise. My car does chew its way through pads though (this could be my driving style though... )

Hope at least some of this helps!

Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome