Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio - Engine Management Light On

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 29th December 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Hi Paul
I have what sounds like the same problem with my car which is also a 2001 1.2 16V Clio. Warning light comes on and engine hunts, revs up and can stall. I have found that if I hold the throttle at 3500 rpm until the light goes out and the engine revs increase slightly. The car will drive ok until the next time it gets it's silly head on. You may, or may not, have noticed that if you open the bonnet, there is a clicking from the carbon fuel vapour canister, under the left hand wing (looking from the front of the car), which stops when the Warning Light goes out. The car had a problem this time last year were it would not start at all. The AA man put the car on his laptop and said that the problem seemed to be one of the three relay's on the right hand side of the engine bay under a cover, which he then swapped around, and the car started. As I have never replaced them, I am wondering whether the two may be linked? The Warning Light I refer to, is the one which looks like a coiled spring, engine managment light in the centre of the Panel. I have been told that these relays cost around 15 each, to fit yourself. you can read about the fuel canister in the haynes manual, Emissions control systems 4c.2. Renault mechanic said last week that he thought it could be one of the cables to the Ecu shorting out due to a chafing on the insulation, but Renault want 75 to do a diagnostic. I think I will try the relay's and see how that goes. Has anyone else had the same problem ???? Regards Dockwood

Last edited by dockwood; 29th December 2007 at 05:57 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome