Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Avantime, Vel Satis or Citroen XM..?

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 31st December 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks again for all the help.

Hugh, thanks for the offer of a shot in yours but Bristol's a good 3hours+ drive from here... Maybe if there was a suitable model for sale locally to you I'd combine the two, say hello and do a quick comparisson!

But yes, big French cars do have this fragility reputation so whichever I go for, I'd look for one which was 'sorted', at least as much as can be. For instance, the autobox on the XM (and Xantia for that matter) can be very troublesome and simply give up at around 75k if it didn't receive regular changes of oil with the specified fluid - the one I'm looking at didn't but now has a new gearbox with 2k miles on, now with the correct oil in it...

What's maybe funnier is I have next to no mechanical knowledge yet the hydraulics don't faze me at all - in fact, I managed to change all eight spheres on my Xantia in the summer and flush the LHM fluid too. Not the most difficult job in the world but for a complete novice/numpty (delete as applicable) like me I was very proud!

Have considered a V6 Diesel VS but the higher used prices and my low annual mileage wouldn't prove any benefit for me. Plus, I'm not overly struck on the diesel engines generally lower rev range.

Rear passengers will be few and far between but it would be nice to know that I wasn't going to amputate anyone's toes when I drove an Avantime! Hugh, could you (or another Avantime owner for that matter) and do me a favour? Could you measure the foot space gap at the back of the front seats with the seat at its lowest and highest settings? For some curious reason, I tend to drive any car with the seat base as high as possible but still being able to keep my head from touching the roof. I'm 6ft but with the Avantime's massive headroom, it might be I could have it at full height anyway and the foot space wouldn't be a problem.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome