Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 1st January 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hello again delta!

I love the expression "the engine might be a bit wonky" - describes the old 8-valver a treat I think!

At the worst of my head gasket problems the car would barely start - once the mis-firing had cleared the damned thing would do a 50-odd mile journey no sweat. It emptied it's coolant through the exhaust, but she kept on going!

I see that you agree on the old temp gauge reading never going above half. Thats fine, but, BUT the fact that its dipping when you are above a certain speed is a problem. This really indicates deep troubles, mine used to go up and down like a yo-yo between quater and half - and this is all pre HG and water pump replacement. Do yourself (and me!) a favour... Get it fixed! I don't like seeing Meggies on the scrap heap as much as you! Get the waterpump and HG done and once she's warm the temp gauge will never move from halfway - I guarantee it.

I shouldn't worry about the random steering lightness/heaviness thing, mines done it since I've owned it which is getting on nearly 5 years now. Never failed an MOT... Must be a Meggie quirk!

You don't want to ask what I paid for mine. It had 42K on it nearly 5 years ago and I paid... gulp 3K for it!!!! I guess that is almost 5 years ago, and the car was only 3 and a bit years old then, but.... Well you live and learn!

Anyhoo, I know how much cars cost to run. At the end of the day all cars are going to cost you, and I have always followed the motto "the better the devil you know..."

Look after your car, fix it, care for it and love it, and she'll always get you home. It might seem ridiculous to spend silly money on an old car but at the end of the day how much are you going to spend on a newer one? And how much more is it really going to cost you to keep that on the road? Newer cars seem to be more pricey to run than older ones. Like I said in my prev post, my mate with the A4 spends a hell of a lot more money servicing and repairing his (quite litterally) precious Audi A4 than I do on the Megane, even if I were to have an annual head gasket job done!

I would be seriously interested in the chap you mentioned that gets K7M engines in. Although mine is running sweet as at the mo, its always good to know for when the inevitable comes. Might be a wise idea for you to get a second hand engine for your car if she really is that poorly. It's a big job, but with the hire of an engine crane and a few tools you could feasibly do the job on your own drive!

BTW that Fiat... Italian cars are generally regarded as being worse than French cars reliability-wise! The people who take the p*** out of the Megane really don't know what they're talking about. I know someone who owns a Brava, and someone who owns an Alfa Romeo GT (which has been a right pain in the...) and they both moan and moan and, you get the idea.

I look forward to seeing a few pics of the car, I must get round to doing the same, I never seem to get the time! Persevere with the car, it really will be worth it!

All the best

Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome