Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How much have you spent on your Renault this year

View Single Post
post #49 of (permalink) Old 2nd January 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to root-two
Originally Posted by DEANO007 View Post
Yes the air con was working at the time, the trim broke few months ago all faults happend after buying . the cam belt was not due just yet but changed for piece off mind. be glad to see the back off it.
The only thing that would see me getting rid of a car in these circumstances is if I was faced with a humongous bill for repair - for example, I'm not going to have (say) 2000 of repairs done on a car which only cost me 1600.

So far, I've had the following done:
  • Power steering flush (a result of my own stupidity, admittedly)
  • New cambelt and tensioner (done for peace of mind, and just as well as it turned out)
  • New N/S/R anti-roll link rod (think that's what it was - the O/S counterpart was done at last service, before I bought the car)
  • New N/S/R wheel cylinder (slight leakage, but I don't take any chances where brakes are concerned)
  • New screenwash pump (file under 'bloody annoying!')
  • New TDC sensor - may or may not be the cause of a current annoyance, but for the cost I might as well just get it done.
  • Miscellaneous other bits such as new wiper blades, new headlamp bulbs and a new air filter.

I've only had the car for a couple of months and the expenditure is bloody annoying (and badly timed!) but at the same time it's the sort of thing that I'd expect on an 8 year-old car with a similar amount of mileage.

Perhaps you've just been unlucky - I read an interesting comment on another Renault-related forum (yes, there are others ) that people only tend to read about people's bad experiences and therefore come to the conclusion that 'X is crap', where X=Renault,Citreon,Peugeot,whatever.

In my case, I'd read a lot of stuff about people having various problems with MkII Clios and I knew when I bought the car that I might have to spend a bit of cash on fettling it despite the fact that it had been well looked after (I'm a perfectionist - not necessarily a good thing ). This has turned out to be the case, but even so I love the car to bits even if my credit card is complaining a bit
Currently in root-two's garage:
1999 Clio 1.2RN Grande (D7F)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome