Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Urgent Help - car has died!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th January 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Urgent Help - car has died!

Help! I need urgent advice or I fear I may have to remortgage my house to pay Renault to fix my car!

My Scenic has the usual plip key problem, it works intermittently at night when it's dark but isn't great during the day. So I've been using the emergency code which I input using the central locking button. It's a hassle but at least it works! But today it's all gone horribly wrong. I left for work as normal and all was fine, car started (in fact it's been running well the last few days). I didn't get far when there was a small noise and I started losing power. I pulled over and stopped by which time the engine had cut out. Tried to restart it but it just turned over (not sounding good) and wouldn't start. Called my FIL but he had no luck either. We turned the car off totally and took the key out, then put it back in and tried to turn the immobiliser off using the central locking. To start with it wouldn't work at all, just kept flashing the light constantly. Eventually it went into the slow flash and it allowed me to input the first three numbers, on the fourth number I counted one flash before it suddenly went into rapid flash and the coil and battery lights came on.

An hour or so later the recovery truck came and I was successful in inputting the emergency code but the car wouldn't start. He wasn't sure if the problem was the immobiliser or something else. The car is now outside and I'm stuck here not sure what to do.

Can anybody offer any suggestions? Renault would charge me a BOMB and I'm loath to do that but neither do I want to amend the control board to disable the immobiliser permanently if the problem is elsewhere.

Any ideas?

THANKS in advance
  5 Lastest Threads by Smileyk
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Scenic RX4 - Balljoints Steering and Suspension 6 2285 17th November 2010 08:15 AM
Turbo going - how long? Engines semolina pilchard 9 1704 13th September 2010 06:59 PM
Damn key cards!! WHY!? Electronics madnoel10 5 1713 17th August 2009 12:21 PM
Caravan AND bikes? Towing & Touring Club 4 1614 20th July 2009 09:53 AM
Renault Scenic - Thule Roofbars Bodywork Stew_L 12 6536 23rd June 2009 08:13 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome