Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 4th January 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi again Delta - been back at work (noooo!) so my internet time has been somewhat curtailed!

Its amazing how photos help tell a story! They are great. As promised I will upload some myself, but due to a lack of a camera (!) and breaking my mobile over christmas (so no more camera on that then!) I can't! I'll work my way through the photos as best as I can... On the starting "issues" - yes, it fired up straight away, as it always used to and then quickly settled to an even idle with minimal steam from the back. The most satisfying improvement was the sloshing noise had almost gone. I had a bit of bleeding to do (as discussed elsewhere 'round these parts) then gone for good hopefully.

Looking at your pics, the car doen't seem in too bad a nick, that corrosion on the A pillar is easily treatable with the screen out. I have corrosion on the rear wheel arches, which hasn't got much worse over the last few years fortunately. Other dents and scratches are par for the course on an older car though, I rammed a shopping trolley into the side of my car once. Long story... Looking at the leaks, I shouldn't worry too much about them as they seem to be from the rocker cover gasket. This'll be changed when the HG is done. Similarly around the oil filter, mines covered in oil there because the oil filter is such a **** to replace without getting oil all over the place.

That coolant expansion tank looks basically the same as mine was. Its basically full of engine oil , are there any dull grey or whiteish deposits opn the dip-stick or oil filler? The red colour could well be corrosion from the radiator. Does your car have air-con? If not then I think a radiator swap will be fairly strightforward. With air-con these jobs tend to be more expensive, I have no idea if this is the case on the Megane though. A new rad from somewhere like GSF is 60ish and could be fitted when the HG is being done, since the coolant system will be drained anyway.

The thing thats whining under the car looks to be the fuel filter - dead easy a simple swap over though you'll get convered in petrol (I did). The thing buzzing under the bonnet is I think the idle control valve, though I'm not sure. Never had to touch that one before. I wasn't flush enough for a new TDC sensor, so I just took mine off and gave it a wipe so it'll do for now! I've no idea if those lines are supposed to match up on the HT leads with the ones on the coil packs. I doubt it though, as the position of the leads relative to the coil packs makes no difference.

Those rear light clusters are a pain, my rears still flicker a little and I'm hoping that come May the MOT chap doesn't say anything. I managed to get to the point where the flickering only happens when the rear fogs are on (which is never). The pins will be a little loose on the clusters (mine are too) give them a good clean up with some emery cloth to get rid of the white corrosion, then a little squirt of WD40. See if that helps.

And finally... Yes my clutch pedal rubber is also down to the metal, on the same side in the same place.

And to Bruce, keep a really close eye on the coolant levels. Sudden variations in the level (best to check with a cold engine) is the first sign of trouble. There is (to the best of my knowledge which isn't saying much) no way to tell when its about to happen again. And 600 for the job from a Renault dealer doesn't sound a bad price to me.

Phew! The keyboards on fire! Hope this helps.

Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses

Last edited by Bob925; 4th January 2008 at 10:41 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome