Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Come on, Whats the WORST car you have ever OWNED!?

View Single Post
post #36 of (permalink) Old 4th January 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Yes, I voted "Renault" in the poll...

I'm thinking crappiness when related to reliability, the Megane caused my vote! Thats not to say I don't like my car, I love the damn thing to bits! It's had a few too many pounds spent on it, but then better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Not sure if I would buy another one, who knows?!

In terms of "crappy crappiness" then its got to be my first car, a 1983 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Estate. Zero street cred, a radio with no FM and it looked like a great big wardrobe on wheels. I tried replacing the radio with a CD player, only to discover that the existing hole wasn't a DIN sized one.

Its was quick though, well at least it felt quick with a mighty 85bhp under the bonnet. Flat out in fourth (no rev counter) you could rattle and shake your way to 100mph, but the speedo at that speed was reading anywhere between 90 and 110! The awesome/dangerous handling was a larf also, a wet roundabout would produce bad old understeer followed by surprising snap oversteer which caused near trouser accidents on several occasions. Mind, it did have tyres made in the early 1900s on it.

Oh, and the Vauxhall mud flaps which were actually off of a Cavalier, if you went down a lumpy country lane the front mud flaps would catch on the ground, the same if you went round a corner quickly enough - joy! One passenger once recommended I get the suspention looked at (by this I think he meant scrap it!). The only thing that went wrong on it was the alternator siezed. I got a used one from a scrappy for a tenner which took 5 minutes to fit. It was a dead easy car to work on.

God I miss that car

Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses

Last edited by Bob925; 4th January 2008 at 12:31 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome