Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - A few questions

Thread: A few questions
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 4th January 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I've just taken my key card apart. It is possible, but it's not particularly easy. Basically, the process involved *CAREFULLY* running a knife around the edge, never penetrating within the key boundary; it's glued all the way round and the circuit board extends to within 1-2mm inside the case. The tricky(-er) bit comes when you have to undo the plastic weld that runs down the centre of the key (i.e. on the inside edge of the manual override key). Anyway, once it's open, you "just" fix the problem and glue it back together again.

The problem on mine was the micro-switch for the one of the buttons; it had simply come away from the circuit board and was merrily floating around inside. It required a steady hand to solder it back on (because the pads were tiny), but it can be done. If you have the same fault, make sure you get the switch back the right way round; it'll work in two of the four possible positions.

A word of caution though - you can't afford to waste any thickness when reassembling it. The original key is about 4.6mm thick. When I first put the key back together again it was about 4.9mm thick and it was too thick to fit in the key slot.
Currently in Salvidar's garage:
Laguna II (Phase 1 - '05), 2.0, Initiale Sport Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome