Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Brown brake fluid Espace 3.0 54

View Single Post
post #31 of (permalink) Old 19th February 2016
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,370 Posts
Re: Brown brake fluid Espace 3.0 54

Originally Posted by MissNottingham View Post
That's the bottle I'm looking at and it says DOT 3/4 on it

Apparently it goes brown with age tho as I've said, nobody's said a word on MOT, no advisory, nothing
Just opened my bottle up.
Fluid looks browny green unless I stick a torch on.
Looks more straw colour then. As it should.
I changed mine a year or so back so shouldn't have deteriorated too much.
So could just be light, colour of fluid through reservoir or could be old age.

Point is, don't panic.
While fluid will deteriorate with age and can locally boil due to the water, unless you are driving like Schumacher round town or really riding the brakes hard, it is unlikely.
Even if it does, first indications are a spongy pedal, not total brake failure.
I've seen systems where the pistons had rusted almost solid due to old fluid.... but the brakes still worked.
Get it checked and changed if the results show it's needed.... or changed for your peace of mind.
But don't worry on it.
There are probably countless cars out there with old fluid, they aren't falling off the road.

BTW, MOT inspectors check fluid levels, they can't remove caps or covers to see the actual fluid.
Can't even check levels if the reservoir isn't visible and needs a cover removing to see it.

As for servicing.... they should check levels and main dealers should change fluid at set service intervals.
Should doesn't mean they do.
Call me cynical but I like to check my own after anyone else has been under the bonnet.
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dancingdad For This Useful Post:
batfink5 (19th February 2016), funkoval (19th February 2016), Nottnoc (19th February 2016)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome