Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Brown brake fluid Espace 3.0 54

View Single Post
post #36 of (permalink) Old 19th February 2016
Mike H025
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Brown brake fluid Espace 3.0 54

Originally Posted by MissNottingham View Post
Apparently it goes brown with age tho as I've said, nobody's said a word on MOT, no advisory, nothing
Checking what colour it is is not part of MOT, just if the brakes work properly and pads & discs safe & servicable.

"Full service" doesn't necessarily mean what it sounds like, most likely engine oil and spark plugs change.

"70,000 full service with brake fluid change"

so implies oil & plugs, PLUS new brake fluid.

If that was a couple of years ago or more then yes I would consider getting it refilled. Brake fluid is alcohol based so absorbs water (is hydroscopic?), over time can get quite contaminated. Danger then is corrosion of metal parts due to the water content.

Recently had mine done by dealer, also coolant as the two together was a "special deal", so that's OK for another couple of years!

As has been said cars always cost I'm afraid, and the trouble with old ones is it gets to a point whether the work required is worth it. There's more needs doing due to the mileage & simple wear & tear so does seem like a lot.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steve Wright
Currently in Mike H025's garage:
Renault Clio III Ph2 facelift 1.2 16V 75 I-Music
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike H025 For This Useful Post:
funkoval (19th February 2016)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome