Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane - Engines - Megane oil light

View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 2nd March 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
The answer to the last two posts is: money! I was made redundant at Christmas so I wanted to try all the cheaper things first.

It cost 150 to have the sump dropped and examined - apparently it's not straightforward, requiring subframe removal.

I like semi cos it's better than dino oil but cheaper than full synth, which I can't believe a gentle engine like my 1.6 needs. Even my bike, producing well over 100 bhp/litre and revving to 11,000, is quite happy on semi!

Having said that, I've a feeling it hasn't completely sorted it. Today I had a long run, and as I got back to the country lanes near home I'll swear I caught a flicker. Dammit.

I notice among the receipts I inherited with the car that it had all it's services more or less on time, using good oils, but then the owner suddenly put Magnatec in at the last service, then sold it shortly after. So I can't help wondering if they knew it had a problem then. I can't understand it though - the oil pressures at idle and revving are bang on spec.
Currently in Greenmanalishi's garage:
2000 Megane Sport Alize 1600 Auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome