Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio brake proplem

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 1st March 2016
Mike H025
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Clio brake proplem

Did you feel vibration through the pedal? If so that was the ABS working. Not experienced it myself TBH so only going by what I've read / been told.

And, ABS does not necessarily mean that you stop quicker or in a shorter distance. Mainly it prevents the wheels locking so that you can still steer, so you steering around the other car is exactly what ABS would have allowed you to do. (If it was working in this case.) Otherwise you would have merely skidded into the other car straight on with no ability to steer out of it. At any rate that is how it was described in the handbook of my previous car, ABS allows you to steer around obstacles while braking. I also just remembered a TV advert from years ago demonstrating this.

There are, possibly, a couple of problems with this: 1. a lot of people are too afraid to press the pedal hard enough to invoke ABS, soon as it starts they panic and back off; 2. steering while doing an 'emergency stop' is counter intuitive. Especially if you are used to pre-ABS vehicles ~ where previous experience tells you that you can either brake, or steer, but trying both at once is often a bad idea as it could lead to a skid.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steve Wright
Currently in Mike H025's garage:
Renault Clio III Ph2 facelift 1.2 16V 75 I-Music
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome