Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Lack of confidence in brakes

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 13th January 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Lack of confidence in brakes

Got my scenic, new May 2007. Was fine for a while. From about Sep, it has randomly 'lost' braking 'power' which makes for a bit of a hairy ride, wondering whether you're going to stop.

It doesn't happen all the time and my husband posted something on here in Nov, but we didn't follow up since the problem seemed to go away for a bit (now back).

We had it looked at by a Renault garage, but of course they couldn't find anything wrong with it nor could they replicate my problem.

We've tried to determine if there's anything we're doing when this happens. We can only conclude that it seems to happen when braking downhill and if the car is in second gear at the time. However this is not completely accurate as today it seemed to happen as I came off the mway, onto a slip road, UP a hill, braking towards lights. Had been going fast up the mway - maybe that's also a theme, it happens after a period of speed such as on the mway - but not everytime.

We are now VERY cautious when we drive and it makes for a bit of a jerky drive when slowing down, as we tend to hit the brakes a bit harder and earlier to ensure stopping.

One other thing, it's a diesel, never had a diesel b4, and when driving in second gear, if the car is not going fast enough, the car jumps forward as if wanting to go faster and it momentarily feels like a loss of control. Could this fact be important to what I describe about second gear for the brakes?

Does this sound familiar to anyone and what should I do? The car is actually leased. SHould I be going back to the leasing company?

Any and all advice much appreciated as I'm now getting worried one day I'll lose the brakes for good.

Currently in lilmo_2's garage:
  5 Lastest Threads by lilmo_2
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Lack of confidence in brakes Brakes/Hubs audipete15 9 1500 13th January 2008 07:12 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome