Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2001 Sports Touring Towbar Wiring Instructions

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 13th January 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I fitted my own towbar this summer and the towbar came with electrics fitted that I then just 'T'ed into the existing car wiring. I found it easier to run the electrics into the rear LH quarter and then just had to 'splice' into the RH indicator wire in the spare wheel recess. That was a bit tricky as ISTR there were 3 identical green wires that I just had to guess at - got it on the 2nd attempt! I dropped the rear LH light cluster out and drilled a hole for the towbar electrics cable to enter the car just below that (and then put a grommet in the hole to protect the cable).

I couldn't use Scothblock connectors as the wiring is too fine - I just used a choccy block terminal strip and buzzed / cut the wires as I went. I'm not totally happy with the electrics as the tail light dims significantly when the indicators run and the brakes are on (indicates a not very good earth). When the skin on my knuckles finally grows back, I may go back in and have a go at making a better job of it. I also wired a leisure socket (for the caravan), for which I ran a 35A 12V feed direct from the battery.

I'm not a professional mechanic (but an electronics engineer by training) - the electrics was quite easy and you can just do it with a test bulb to confirm the cabling (I used a multimeter because I've got one).

I believe that there is a Renault loom that can be bought for this and just plugs in but I believe it's around 80 (from memory).

Good luck!
Currently in McBish's garage:
03 Laguna II 1.9dCi Initiale Estate

Last edited by McBish; 13th January 2008 at 08:55 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome