Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Police seizure scheme

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 14th January 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Vehicle Confisication

Last year I was working near Redhill in Surrey (not far from Gatwick Airport) and was late for work one morning because the police and the DVLA were doing roadside checks. Was told that they did it quite regularly on that piece of road because a) they always caught loads of untaxed / uninsured cars b) it was a stretch of road that once you were on it and realised what was going on you had no chance of avoiding it (no side roads and too narrow to turn round and go back without raising suspicion) and c) there was a hotel car park where they could direct drivers to for further questioning.

In the morning there was already several cars on a transporter and they were still at it when I drove past in the evening and saw a different set of cars on the transporter.

Presumably the cars were not impounded but because the drivers were not insured then they were not allowed to drive away and "arrangements" were made by the police, on the drivers' behalf, to move the vehicles from the road to a secure storage facility.

This I think is where the removal and storage charges come in and people loose their cars because they cannot or do not want to pay.
Currently in Gasjunkie's garage:
Renault Laguna Executive 3.0l 24V V6 Auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome