Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

View Single Post
post #77 of (permalink) Old 14th January 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to root-two
Originally Posted by stuart1988 View Post

im having exactly the same problem as you at the minute, randomly cutting out, has happened on the motorway a few times, scary stuff, did you end up getting it fixed, any help would be greatly appreciated,

Could be our old friend the TDC sensor (aka the crankshaft sensor) - I had the power loss problem, had the TDC changed and the car has been fine ever since.

The sensor is a cheap part (15 ex.VAT seems to be the going rate) and is relatively easy to replace yourself if you've got a safe place to work and know how to operate a spanner. If you get a mechanic to do it for you, should cost 50-60 parts and labour tops - I had some other work done at the same time but he said that changing the sensor over took about 20 minutes.

Pictorial guide can be found here - it says Megane, but the procedure applies equally well to a Clio although space is a bit tighter. As jobs go, it's probably more awkward than difficult.

If that doesn't work, there are a number of possibilities ( MAP sensor , EGR valve, throttle body etc.etc.) but according to the bloke who did my car the TDC is the problem 9 times out of 10 and is a common problem on Renaults, Clios in particular.

Simon (been there, done that etc.)

EDIT: Just spotted the bit about the warning light - if you're getting the engine management light on then it might be worth checking the earthing points and, if your car has it, the aforementioned wiring looms, tamperproof boxes etc. I'm not familiar with these as my car doesn't seem to have 'em.
Currently in root-two's garage:
1999 Clio 1.2RN Grande (D7F)

Last edited by root-two; 14th January 2008 at 05:07 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome