Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Electronic Handbrake

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 7th March 2016
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,372 Posts
Re: Electronic Handbrake

It is "common"
There is an internal torque limiter that slips when it reaches its limits, like the torque limiter on a power drill/driver.
This is the noise you can hear.
Will be more likely to happen on slopes as the unit has an inclinometer inside and applies more force as needed.

Not much you can do about the internals and Renault will likely try to sell you a complete new unit, circa 450 plus fitting.

Can be caused by things like sticking cables or the equalising unit above the back axle so you/your mechanic can check these, I have a write up somewhere on here.

The unit has some learning capability and when I had similar issues a couple of years back, I seemed to "cure" it by using the handbrake at every opportunity on the flat... every stop, every traffic light, manually apply.
Went from the noise almost every time to one in two then never.

Has come back recently so I need to sort... in fact mine is now dead but got two years out of it from "failed"
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome