Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Loose Wiring Loom Cover Cutting Into ECU Loom*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 15th January 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re the loose black box,

I reported this to VOSA after it cut out on me on the motorway (SCARY!)

They never looked at my car but asked Renault to carry out there own investigation (Turkeys voting for christmas?!)

VOSA recently got back to me saying the response from Renault means there is insufficient evidence to warrant any action and that this defect was NOT attributable to a design or construction deficiency nor is it likley to cause significant risk, injury or death.

Furthermore they have NO RECORD of similar reports on their databases!

-This means the Renault dealers will continue to turn a blind eye to this defect and continue to hook your car up to their computer (for a fee), tell you its the throttle potentiometer that will need replacing (for a fee) and when that doesn't work you'll need a new wiring loom/ ECU or both (for a fee!)

Renault were aware of this problem and modified the black box to add a rubber grommet to it - this clearly hasn't worked.

Rather than fleecing already unhappy customers why can't Renault issue an advisory notice to dealers that this model is prone to this problem? Cheap and easy solution (maybe that why they don't do it - new ECU 's are much more lucrative!!)

I am appealing this decision as it clearly isn't a one-off and definatley is a risk of injury.

I would ask that ALL people who have had this problem contact VOSA to report it.
Head it: Renault Clio - Fuel injection computer inviolability casing loose on engine causing the wiring loom to abrade against the inviolability cover

The more who do, the less likely future drivers will get fleeced by dealers and the car manufacturers will take more responsibility for their products.
Currently in LOUIS CHIRON's garage:
52-plate Clio Expression 1.2, 3dr manual

Last edited by Pat.w; 13th October 2011 at 12:29 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome