Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Renault Forums Turbo failure survey !

View Single Post
post #38 of (permalink) Old 17th January 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I have an '03 reg, which had a turbo failure at 56k. I had renault servicing up to 54k, and a 3rd party service at 56k. The failure had already manifested itself before 54k as a whistle and smoke from the exhaust.

I tried to claim under the Yellow OTS scheme (google it for more info). I contacted Renault and they asked me to take it to my local dealer. They confirmed a turbo failure, however they told me that as the car had been filled with 10W/40 oil at the last service they would not provide any compensation. The standard oil is now 5W/40 on the 1.9DCi, however up until a couple of years ago it was 10W/40. My service book stated that 10W/40 was the standard oil .

I was, of course, furious and tried in vain to persuade them otherwise. They point blank refused to accept that the failure began to occur before the last service, and that 'it was probably the wrong oil that caused the failure' (bear in mind the car has spent over 2/3rds of it mileage with the 10W/40 oil , all by Renault's own service). I also showed the service centre, and faxed to Reanult, my service book showing 10W/40 as the oil recommended by them!

As I needed the car for work I had no option but to proceed with repair, albeit by someone without the name Renault above their door, and start legal proceeding against them. I requested full details of their Yellow OTS scheme, and accumulated the papers necessary to sue them. The cost of the repair was close to 1300.

About a week later they offered 500 as partial compensation, but could give no reason why all of it wasn't covered. I refused this, and communicated my intention to recover all costs via the small claims court. Again I requested the information from them.

About 2-3 days later they agreed to pay full costs and sent a cheque for the full repair.

Total cost to me:

Time: Hours and Hours on the phone
Chance of buying another Renault: None

My last two cars have been Renaults. This will certainly be my last.

The moral has to be - don't let them fob you off. If they say they can't do anything for a failure on a Renault Diesel turbo then check all the sources you can. Then check your legal rights, and sue for what you believe is right. It certainly worked in my case! Good luck!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome