Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane II - Wheels and Tyres - Megane II - Tyre sensors

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 6th March 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by nichthewood
Is it me. The "Bl***Y sensors are so sensitive when its cold they come on. if you drive for a mile or so the go OFF.Whats the point.
My previous Laguna II used to do this on very cold winters mornings when the tyre pressures were borderline. The 'fault' would go away after driving for a few minutes.

In my case, it was simply the fact that the tyre pressures do actually reduce as the temperature gets lower. In my experience, it's enough to make as much as 5 psi of difference between a 'cold' tyre and one that's reached operating temperature after a few miles on the motorway. Similarly, the drop could be enough to trigger the sensor.

Tyre pressures should ideally be checked cold, so I'd be inclined to set the tyre pressures and check them with a digital pressure gauge first thing in the morning, while they're absolutely stone cold and the car has been standing overnight. If you have to drive a couple of miles to the petrol station to use their air line, that could put enough heat into the tyres to give a false reading. When they cool again overnight, you end up with the same problem.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome