Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 2 question from worried parent

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2016
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Clio 2 question from worried parent

Delaminating brake shoes is not uncommon on Clios but in my experience there are usually some warning signs not easily detected. One of the most common early warning signs is the handbrake tends to stick especially on cold mornings. Not easily noticed but you will feel the brake grab and then a slight sudden release or sometimes the brake will suddenly lock for a split second in reverse when braking in reverse.
Even if the brake system has dual circuits the twin pistons share the same master cylinder and the master cylinder is fed by only one reservoir so a massive leak in one circuit can affect the other.

On drum brakes where the components are hidden inside the drum it is prudent to remove the drums for a full inspection at least once a year. When inspecting check around the leading edges of the brake shoes as it is in that area delamination usually starts. Clean out any residual dust using brake cleaner and lift the edges of the brake cylinder dust caps to check for any signs of brake fluid. Behind the dust caps should be dry with only a hint of the special grease used during assembly. Also check the brake adjusting links, etc, aren't seized.

Your'e probaly sick and tired of me saying "Remember brakes are like your best friends - you miss them most when they ain't around"

I have only once seen a true dual hydraulic braking system and that was on a Rolls - Royce and it had two separate master cylinders linked to the brake pedal with a special non-return valve between each. If pressure failed in one circuit there would be an imbalance of pressure which automatically closed the low presure circuit off.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome