Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna I - Phase 2 - Heating and Cooling - Heater Fan 1,2,& 3 speed not working + FIX

View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 21st January 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Lightbulb Full Instructional with Pics

Hi, Thanks to everyone else so far for their help with this matter. I was really stumped and I couldn't have put together this how-to without the combination of several other posts. Just to confirm, the issue I am describing a solution for below is for a Renault Laguna (Mine is an air-conditioned V-reg 1.9dTI Alize). The blower motor controls only work on 4, not 1,2 or 3. Same applies to the recirculation setting on the opposite side of the dial.

I have posted this fix with pictures because it is the best way to show someone how to do something other that do it for them and let them watch. Most people have digital cameras/phone cameras and this should be done more often. I hope it helps anyone who has the same issue and isn't assumed to be a mechanical genius.

Screw driver with adaptor socket and correct size-lobe bit
Adjustable Spanner / Sockets / Pliars
Electrical Tape
Allen key (Just something I uses with the adaptor socket to get into the tight spots)

Also: Replacement/Renewed Resistor Pack as described above. I got my from They were very helpful. I looks like this:

Step 1:
Pop the bonnet and disconnect the negative (black) terminal of the battery using the spanner/sockets/pliars. Insulate with electrical tape and lower bonnet. We do this to avoid accidental discharge of the airbags which will send whatever is in your hand through your eye and into your brain. (No pics for illustration, sorry)

Step 2:
Remove the Glove compartment by removing all the sweet wrappers and pens from the glove compartment, peel back the front right, middle and left of the felt matting of the glovebox to reveal 3 hidden six-lobe screws. Remove them and the 4th one at the top of the glovebox in the center. Pull out the glovebox and remove the wiring. This pic shows the order of the wiring for re-assembly:

Step 3:
Disconnect the airbag wire (the thick orange one) for easier access, unplug the 2 connectors to the resistor pack and coax out the old resistor pack. There are no screws or clips holding this in place. It is just a snap fix. Put the new/repaired resistor pack in. RE-CONNECT THE AIRBAG!!

Step 4:
Underneath the passenger dash, in the footwell is the blower motor. You might need to remove some spongy insulation to get to it. The insulation is held in place with retainer clips. Pull these off with pliars. Pop off the casing covering the black and red spade-connector wires that lead to the old resistor pack, and replace with the wires leading to the newly fitted resistor pack.

Re-assemble blower motor and put insulation back. Note: You should be able to do this without removing the blower motor. I have removed it for illustration.

Step 5:
Wire up the glove compartment and replace in reverse order of removal. Reconnect the battery. Took me a little over 40 mins in total.

All done!

Wish you the best of luck,
Currently in Ernz's garage:
1999 Renault Laguna I 1.9dti Alizé NO LONGER! He now drives a 2001 Renault Laguna II 1.8 16V Dynamique.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome