Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New Tomtom Sat Nav

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 7th March 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
This one's becoming a bit of a FAQ, but I'll bite.

Don't bother, for two reasons
1) It involves some serious mucking around with the car's wiring. Some of the required wiring might not even be there.
2) The pre-facelift Laguna II Carminat isn't a patch on most of the after-fit systems that you'll get these days - it supports only 2D mapping, is very slow to calculate and re-calculate if you fail to follow a turn, it has the user interface from hell, and it makes some utterly ridiculous routing decisions that can easily add an hour or so onto a long journey. Apart from the (much) smaller screen, you'd be better off with a Garmin i3, currently retailing at less than 150 notes if you shop around. If you're prepared to double that budget, then there are lots of vastly superior after-fit units available.

Back on the subject of the new TomTom units - the best news for Renault owners is that they have the new SiRF Star III chipset, as featured in the TomTom One and (I think) the Rider. This has no problems 'seeing' through athermic windscreens, so you don't have to fork out for and go to the trouble of installing a wired antenna just to get the TomTom to work. I don't think the 910 has an iPod link - I understand that all versions will double as an MP3 player, and the 20Gb hard disk on the 910 effectively makes it a realistic competitor for some of the smaller capacity iPods.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome