Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 1+2 - Shuddering Under Power*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 25th January 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I would start by checking the offside driveshaft 1st.
This one is easier, you dont have to drain the gearbox oil .
This problem can occur on either drieshaft.
Quite easy to remove the driveshaft. Undo and remove outer cv nut. remove road wheel. remove 3 bolts holding the bearing support to the gearbox, Remove both bolts from the bottom of the shock absorber and the shaft can be pulled out.
Check the drive shaft by clamping the inner cv splines in a vice (take care not to damage splines). Hold and twist the main shaft clockwise, at the same time pull it in and out (it moves about 2"). Don't pull too hard or the cv boot will split.
If you feel a "bump" near the middle this is the problem. Disassemble the CV and inpect the faces on the tulip. A good one has shinny lines where the tripod has been sliding along the faces. A bad one has a pocket worn about 1/2 way along the line. It is not very deep, you can just about feel it with your finger.
I mangaed to polish it out using a small grinding stone in an electric drill. Finished off with grinding paste. Car has done 4000miles since and it still runs without wobbles.
Be carefull of recon driveshafts, they often replace the tripod but reuse the damaged tulip. Renaults are the only shaft I have come across that wear the tulip, all of the others I have seen wear the tripod bearing.

Currently in Ian_gary_price's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II Authentic 1.6 16v
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian_gary_price For This Useful Post:
cambr3203 (1st July 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome