Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - PC installation into a Scenic ?

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 25th January 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Not quite the same thing (okay, far from it) but I'm planning to chuck a Freecom Mediaplayer 25 that I already have in the back of ours to keep the ratbag quiet. Depending on what you want from the system, this might be a simpler solution. No touchscreen interface, but with a remote eye (you can butcher a Sky TV Link easily enough) you can zap the thing easily enough with the standard Freecom remote. SPDIF would be a problem though.

The simple charging diagram on Otto's link is very interesting, as I've already bought two cheap 6V SLA's (to be run in series) as backup for when the car's ignition is off. I plan to let it run with the ignition off until the SLA's run flat or the unit and screen are switched off, though really the purpose of the batteries is just to take away the inconvenience of the whole thing shutting down as soon as you stop the engine (well stop the engine and open the driver's door on mine.)

The biggest worry with any of these systems is the hard drive. Bumps and knocks while driving with the thing spun-up aren't going to give you a great long-term service life. Flash hard drives are probably the most robust answer, but the price is going to have to come down a bit for them to be viable ($999 for a 32Gb - you might as well just buy several 160Gb hard drives and chuck 'em away as and when they break.)
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome