Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - ABS fault at 70mph

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th January 2008 Thread Starter
David S84
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
ABS fault at 70mph

Recently my Clio has developed a fault whereby the ABS & SERV lights illuminate when my speed reaches about 68 mph. However, when I turn the ignition off, wait a couple of seconds, and turn the ignition back on - the ABS/SERV lights reset themselves an everything functions properly.

I wondered if it was just a computer/dashboard glitch - so on rainy day, I drove the car up to motorway speeds (in order to trigger the ABS/SERV lights), then, later in the journey, I pulled into an empty street which was cobbled and slippery, and applied the footbrake sharpy - the wheels locked up. Hence, the ABS was inoperative. I then stopped, turned the ignition off (to reset the ABS/SERV lights), and then restarted the car. I repeated the sharp braking on the cobbles, and the ABS system operated properly.

So basically, the ABS works fine until I reach 70 mph - at which point it shuts down, and the warning lights come on. It then resets itself when the ingnition's switched off.

Anyone had a similar problem, or any knowledge on the situation? Incidentally, my off-side front wheel ploughed through a very severe pot-hole a couple of weeks ago - guessing this may have some thing to do with it... damage to my ABS ring perhaps?
Currently in David S84's garage:
Clio II 1.2 16v Dynamique
  5 Lastest Threads by David S84
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Starting problem - fixed for less than 20p! Engines abigello 2 1257 27th February 2010 12:00 AM
HT lead stuck - 2003 Clio 1.2 16v (D4F) Engines David S84 4 7406 18th May 2009 10:01 AM
ABS fault at 70mph Electronics james_w_1987 4 1134 25th January 2008 09:11 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome