Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - PC installation into a Scenic ?

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 25th January 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
hi guys,

Ok the story so far!!

Firstly I've lost a lot of time on the project moving job and christmas etc, but their is progress.

The PC itself has been built and put into a case i've made for the purpose, i was going to install the unit into the cubby hole on the left hand side of the boot but decided i want to be able to transfer the unit to another car if need be. (i may be changing back to a Laguna soon!).

The hard drive issue is always going to be a problem but can be "less risky" if you use a laptop hard drive and I've suspended the hard drive into a padded holder to avoid shock but hold it securley enough to be safe. Also it is possible Believe it or not to run windows from an SD memory card!! this would irradicate the need for a hard drive. but for the time being i'll be using a hard dirve.

Its small enough to fit into the corner of the boot without too much trouble.

All the inards are wired up and working:

The software is now all working, the logo is Honda but will be a spining Renault badge when finished:

Satnav is run using a bluetooth GPS reciever, and the phone is also connected by bluetooth.
Ok so thats the pc built!

The next step is this little item:
This will be the said touchscreen interface and also has a built in amplifier which will save me having to install on in the boot.

Then I will have to run a power line direct from the battery with an inline fuse to the PC unit in the boot.
The problem of power supply for the PC has been solved with a unit that is purpose built for car PC's that will start the PC up with the ignition and shut the PC down when ignition is turned off.

Then will be running a nest of cables (power, audio, VGA, USB and arial) from the boot to the dash. This is going to be the fun part!!!

If i get the Lgauna i will be installing the DVD drive in the dash but for the time being the drive will live in the storage under the front passenger seat.

Sorry the post is so long but wanted to let you know as much as i could.

Any questions let me know, but i will take more pics as i install into the car and post updates.

Last edited by Kipple; 25th January 2008 at 09:50 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome