Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New Tomtom Sat Nav

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 8th March 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by nicolidus
Have you heard of Roadcom 300? That's the other one we sell (apart from Tomtom) and it's got a built in mp3 player and photo viewer Never really understood why really!
It's not one that I've heard of, but it sounds interesting. If it has a reasonable sized touch-screen too, then it might be a serious contender.

Things like MP3 and photo viewing make sense insofar as they cost a little bit extra when it comes to developing the firmware, but don't bump up production costs in the slightest. If you were comparing similar items at a similar price, then those could well be the features that seal the deal.

I really wish my 700 had either an MP3 or photo viewing capability (or better still, both.) As it stands, around 50% of the hard disc space on it is wasted, when it could be doing something useful. I suppose I could use it along with my 2copy2 to back up my digital camera photos when I'm on holiday, but that's about it, and I already have a couple of 2Gb memory sticks if I want to do that.

I do like the look of that new Mio for the money. Admittedly, from what I've seen, the Mio software isn't a patch on TomTom, but the map coverage seems to be pretty good and I suppose that's what matters. I noticed that they don't support POI warning (read 'speed cameras') out of the box, but you can add POIWarner for a lot less than the cost of a speeding ticket.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome