Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - RX4 Fuel Consumption

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 26th January 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
As a new RX4 2L petrol owner....

I too was a bit let down by the consumption. When I got the car a couple of weeks ago, with 75,000 miles recorded, the computer was showing the latest avg consumption to be just over 29mpg, which I thought probably indicated plenty of short journey work in traffic etc. But that also happens to match the official 'combined' guide on fuel consumption. However our first journey was to drive from Worcester down to Portsmouth and then on down through France to where we now live, near Angouleme, in the Charente. I had reset the computer and was keeping the cruising speed down to just below 70 and even so the consumption was averaging less than 30 mpg. On this side of the channel the weather was really bad with strong cross winds and torrential rain all the way. Hence our cruising speed was more like 60 than 70mph but there was no improvement and after about 450 miles was showing 29mpg. We then left the motorway type roads and went onto quiet undulating country roads wher the consumption started to improve. After a few hundred such miles the overall avreage is now 30.5, which means that driving it very gently on empty roads we are getting about 33mpg. This is never more that 2 people on board and not acclerating hard etc.
The low gearing and extra weight( equivalent to 2 solid adult male passengers in an equivalent normal Scenic) must be the 2 biggest factors and it seems to me that the aerodynamics must take a share of the blame too as this is the only car I've owned where the consumption when tootling about is worse thant when on a long, steady run. As the car is new to me I intend to replace the air filter and the spark plugs as well as an oil and filter change. That is after I've sorted out the shot transmission - which I am very dissapointed with but thanks to the Forum will be able to fix without enriching Renault's coffers.
I'd be interested in any ideas for improving the mpg otherwise will accept that low 30's is as good as it gets. Shame as our Pug 405 estate, 2 litre auto is much better on a run and no worse on short trips. C'est Bizzare as the locals say !!!
Currently in keith.bailey's garage:
2001 Scenic RX4 Petrol + Pug 405 for when it fails
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome